We are currently looking for a Senior Designer to create compelling and interesting gameplay within given constraints, taking responsibility for areas of level design and/or specific game mechanics, demonstrating active involvement in the design creation process whilst ensuring the overall vision of the studio is maintained.
You will support the Game Director in ensuring the overall design requirements are met – to quality, schedule and vision. You will also support and mentor more junior members of the studio, leading smaller parts of the team, sub-teams and pods as and when required on an ad-hoc basis.
- Take an active and vocal part in creative discussions alongside the Gameplay Director and Creative Director. Ensure contributions are creative, useful, constructive and appropriate.
- Take ownership of designated areas of design work (for example an entire level or mechanic) – taking an initial agreed creative vision and documenting it using appropriate software. Liaise with other disciplines to ensure their understanding of the documentation and that their output remains consistent with the initial vision of the content.
- Maintain a high standard of creative and technical knowledge in all areas of design and tutor junior designers where required.
Knowledge and Skills required
- 4 or more years in game development with at least two in a senior design position.
- A craft-master of the discipline with design experience in environment layout, mechanics, narrative, cameras, puzzles and tools.
- Ability to generate innovative and creative game systems and level designs.
- Ability to accurately communicate designs through detailed documentation with the use of written English, visual aids and other supporting material (such as grey boxing, illustrations, graphs, diagrams, spreadsheets, etc).
- Strong prototyping skills to represent an idea in engine even when support from other disciplines is not available.
- Extensive experience with 3D game editing tools.
- Practical experience in gameplay scripting.
- Understanding of how a piece of gameplay can be enhanced or improved upon and unwavering in the desire to make those positive changes happen.
- Clear understanding and championing of what makes a positive user experience in any area of design responsibility (pacing, gameplay mechanics or sequences, in-house tool design etc).
- Leadership skills, and ability to organise and task other team members, including those in design and in other disciplines.
- Strong technical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience working on a product featuring heavy use of motion capture and realistic player movement.
- Degree in an appropriate subject (e.g. Games, Product Design, Computer Science)
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4.
- Experience with Maya, Blender or solid understanding of 3D modelling learnt from other packages (Max, etc).
- Rudimentary animation skills (In 3D packages or in engine tools, e.g. Matinee for UE3, UE4 Sequencer).
- Experience or solid understanding of basic programming principles.
- Experience using Visio, Word, Excel, Power point, Photoshop.
Does this sound like you? If so we can offer you a fun, hard-working and supportive environment in which you can quickly make a contribution. Alongside this there’s the opportunity for career development, training and promotion plus a competitive salary and a whole heap of benefits including, but not limited to;
- Holiday 23 days per annum (rising 1 day a year for each year of service to a maximum of 33 days)
- Subsidised gym/fitness membership
- Free workplace massages
- Free fruit, snacks & cereal
- Free hot & cold drinks
- Contributory pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Private healthcare
- Dental cover
- Participation in cyclescheme & computingscheme
NOTE: THIS IS A ROLLING ADVERT
This means that we do not have a closing date for this advert and it will remain open until we have found the right candidate. We will start processing your application as soon as we receive it, so we advise applying as soon as possible if you’re interested in this role.
Rolling recruitment can sometimes result in us offering to the right candidate whilst other applications are still being processed. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we will always try to avoid this wherever possible.